- The first three days following Laser Therapy, follow only a liquid‑like diet to allow healing. Anything that could be put into a blender to drink is ideal. The purpose of this is to protect the clot that is acting as a “band‑aid” between the gum and the teeth. Do not drink through a straw or spit as this creates a vacuum in your mouth that can disturb the “band‑aid”.
- The next four days after treatment, foods with a “mushy” consistency such as those listed below are recommended.
- Starting seven to ten days after treatment, “mushy” ‑soft foods are allowable. Soft foods have the consistency of pasta, fish, chicken or steamed vegetables. You may then, gradually add back your regular diet choices.
- Dental laser procedures result in little or no discomfort following surgery. Take prescribed pain medications according to instructions if needed.
- Please chew carefully. Avoid chewing food in the areas of the mouth where the laser has been used. One of the most important results of laser surgery is the healing that occurs following the initial procedure. It is extremely important not to dislodge the tiny clots (scabs) that form in the gums.
- The length of time it takes for the gums to heal depends upon the severity of the disease. Most healing in the surface areas takes 2‑4 weeks. Deeper pocket areas may take several months to completely heal.
Please remember that even after ten days, healing is not complete. The first month following treatment you should continue to make smart food choices. Softer foods are better.
- Brush the chewing surfaces of the teeth. During the first day drink liquids only. A liquid dietary supplement may be recommended. Do not stick the bristles into the gums.
- DO NOT FLOSS until instructed to do so.
- During the first week, eat only soft foods. Do not chew where the surgery was performed.
- Wear Mouth Guard at all times.
MUSHY DIET SUGGESTIONS
- TAKE DAILY VITAMINS!
- Anything put through a food blender
- Cream of wheat, oatmeal, malt
- Mashed potatoes or baked potatoes ‑ok with butter/sour cream
- Mashed banana, mashed avocado, applesauce or any mashed/blended fruit except berries with seeds
- Broth or creamed soup
- Mashed steamed vegetables
- Mashed yams, baked sweet potato or butternut squash
- Cottage cheese, cream or soft cheese, Creamy peanut butter without solid pieces
- Eggs any style, with or without melted cheese. Omelets can have cheese and avocado
- Jell‑o, pudding, ice cream, yogurt, milk shakes/smoothies
- Ok to blend with fruit except no berries w/ seeds
- Ensure, slim fast ‑nutritional drinks
Chew gum, eat candy, cookies, chips, nuts, anything hard or crunchy, anything that has seeds or hard pieces, meat that shreds and can lodge under the gum and between teeth, like raw vegetables/salad.
For the convenience of our patients the Doctor or a live member of the Perio & Implant Team is on call even after hours for any urgent needs you may have post surgery, by calling 831-648-8800.